Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Autobiography On Janay Dempsey

I Janay Dempsey was born March 26, 1992 to both the parents of Beautine and Joseph Alston. I was born in Philadelphia, P.A., at Temple Hospital on a Thursday. Furthermore, when I was born, I was born as the fourth child. Then a couple of years later my mother gave birth to two more children, making me the middle child of the family. During my ages of eight through eleven, my family and I went through some conflicts, and had to move some places that we did not want to. My father went away for a while, leaving my mother to take care of her seven kids for a while. Afterwards, my father then came back into our life, and then things got better. My first school that I attended for Kindergarten through first grade, was Cayuga Elementary school, which is located in Hunting Park. Then between the middle of first grade, I transitioned and attended Lowell Elementary School which is located in Olney, for grades first through fourth. While I was at Lowell Elementary, I was involved in various activities and received many awards. They were such things as “The 100 Book Challenge”, “Student Of The Month”, “Track”, “Student Of The Week”, and so much more, that I cannot remember. Some struggles and obstacles that I faced at Lowell Elementary in the fourth grade, was managing sometimes to keep my grades up, being confident, and not caring about what other people said. But mostly, I faced something that most people still faced today was peer pressure. But, I managed to get through that and graduated, which made me proud of myself, and making my family proud as well. Moving On, I prepared to go to my new grade and new school, which was Grover Washington Junior Middle school. I stayed there until fifth grade, I enjoyed my friends and the activities at the school. During fifth grade I maintained good grades in such subjects as, Math, Science, English, Gym Class, and History class. During the summertime my mother found a new school for me to Attend which was Khepera Charter School. Also during my summer, I attended Dance class and it was called, “Rhythm &Moves Dance Studios” and was located on Broad Street. I took such classes as Jazz, Hip-Hop, ballet, and African movement. I received a certificate of Merit for my participation at the dance classes that I attended. Now the summer was over and it was time for me to attend Khepera charter school for grades sixth through eighth where I had graduated. I must be honest I started with some rough times in the sixth grade and someone talked to me and gave me a wake- up call, telling me to get my life together. In the sixth grade I fought two boys and got suspended from school and my grades that I was making were not up to par. Both my mother and father were disappointed in me and they knew that I knew, that I could do better. Also, I was sometimes not patient and just wanted things to go my way in the sixth grade. But, I had to realize that everything was not just about me and that the attitude that I had would not get me far. The person that helped me to overcome these conflicts that I was facing was my art teacher Ms. Hall and my counselor. I really do think them for their time and talking to me. Surprisingly, to my belief I graduated and was so proud of myself for making it thus far. During that summertime after graduating sixth grade my mother made me go to church and vacation bible school. Also, I started to decide what I wanted to do with my life and I decided that when I got older, that I wanted to become a nurse. That summer finally ended and I then moved on to the seventh grade. I realized at that point that I would soon be graduating and going to high school. Furthermore, I noticed that seventh grade grades, were what the high schools were looking at for students like myself, to get accepted. So while in seventh grade, I tried my best tom maintain good grades and be involved in a lot of activities. I was part of things such as, “Digging Up The Past”, “Dance Club”, and “ Financial and Successful children“. I also won first place in the Science fair with my partner. Next I was part of and Oratorical contest, but I won third place and still was happy. Next, I attended the high school expo and searched for good high schools that I thought were good for me. I did and to my surprise, the high schools that I picked, I did not get accepted to any. I was very disappointed and felt like giving up on myself. The reason for me not getting accepted to any was because I was sometimes late to school, and the scores that I had on the PSSA. But my mother did not want me to go to any public school so she searched for Charter schools for me to got to. Now I was in the eight grade and I was extremely happy and so proud that I made it real far. While I was in the eighth grade I made sure that I kept myself occupied and tried to do so much community service as possible. I was part of the eighth grade “Yearbook Committee”, “Pizza Sales” and “Holiday sales”. Also For my community service project, I helped around my school cleaning up and servicing young children. I then participated again in the oratorical contest, and I came in second place, receiving an award. Most important I received more awards, “Honor Role”, “Student Of The Month”, “Perfect Attendance”, “Good Leadership” and “Responsible And Trustworthy”. I then graduated the eighth grade. I felt stress-free, happy, joyful, outstanding, overwhelmed, and so much positive emotions that I cannot even describe. All the things that I had been through were for a purpose and reason when I was in grades kindergarten through eighth grade. I cried and I thanked God so much for getting me far. After completion of the eighth grade, during the summer I stated to work. I realized it was time for me to be independent and have financial status. I worked at khepera Charter School as a Junior Intern. My job was to assist young children along with an elder in a classroom. At the end of the week I had to teach all by myself and the kids really enjoyed me. That was the real first job that I had and I was proud at how well I did. The summer was abut to be over and my mother, had to get me in to a high school. She found one which was called New Media Technology Charter high school and I was sort of happy. It was not the school that I really wanted to go to, but I had rather be there then at my neighborhood public school. I was nervous because I was moving into bigger places and I did not know what to expect on my first day of high school. Well, to my theory I was actually wrong. My first day of high school was fun and throughout that first year I transitioned well, from being in middle school to going to high school. Now I am in the ninth grade and sixteen years old. For some reason, I changed what I want to do with my feature. I decided that I want to become either a model or an actress. I know that I still have a lot of time to make decisions so I am not too worried. Now that I am sixteen, in the beginning, I was going through some things and just recently came over them. Some reasons were because of peer pressure and problems that were going on at home with family. But by the grace of God he did not give up on me or let me fall. He still has me here for a special purpose and reason. To close, I am glad where I stand at now with my life. I hope that I saty strong and positive and also hope that I will soon figure out with I want to do with my life.

No comments: